Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Guild applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donvipra

re: Vipra, Protection Warrior, Raiding application - ACCEPTED

Questions for all applicants:

1. What is your name, age and location?

* Jo-Jan, 23, Arnhem – The Netherlands.

2. What is your characters name, level, class, spec and professions? Also list any alt's (please provide us with a link to your armoury.)

* Vipra, 85, Warrior, Protection, Mining and Jewelcrafting.
* http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Vipra/advanced

I have no alts, I’ve had 2 characters throughout my entire World of Warcraft career, my old main and my current main Vipra.

3. Why are you applying to Forsaken Enlightenment and what are your expectations from the guild?

* Since transferring to the Emerald Dream, we (my sister, her boyfriend and myself) have been looking for a guild that best suits our requirements, a possibility for me and my sister’s boyfriend to raid and for her to play as a social, and of course all three of us being in the same guild.

4. Do you know any current Guild member and how did you hear about us?

* No, I don’t know anybody from Forsaken Enlightenment, we came across your guild through a combination of seeing one of your members in Stormwind and the World of Warcraft forums.

5. What other guilds have you been in and why did you leave them? Do you currently have any other applications pending with other guilds?

* I have been in the guild called Curius, I left them for a combination of failing guild- and raidleadership, and a very disrespectful attitude towards new members and trails from the leaders.
* I do not have applications pending or running with other guilds.

6. Tell us what special qualities you will bring to Forsaken Enlightenment.

* Hmm what would one see as a “special” quality, I’ll bring 7 years of World of Warcraft experience to Forsaken Enlightenment, as well as the infamous Dutch sobriety.

7. Are you interested in becoming a social or raiding member of Forsaken Enlightenment, if social thank you for your application, if raiding please complete the next section.

* I’m interested in becoming a raiding member, of course should all the position for my role be filled I’m happy to join as a social as well if that means my sister and her boyfriend do get accepted for their desired roles.

Questions for raiders only:

1. What is your raiding spec and your dual spec if you have one, which do you prefer to play and why?

* My raiding spec is Protection. I do have a secondary spec and that is Fury.
* I prefer to play protection, I love the attention and dynamics that surround tanking (and healing classes for that matter), you always have to be ready for the unexpected and be able to change your way or playing and handling a situation.

2. How do you keep yourself up to date on the latest developments of your class? Do you visit any websites for this?

* I keep myself up to date mostly by trying and adjusting myself, trying to figure out what way works best for me or for the party/raid/guild. Playing on the PTR is also included in this, as does a limited amount of theory crafting and running simulations.
* I mostly make use of the Elitst Jerks website and the Warrior guide and discussion on the Ensidia site.

3. Comment on your talents and glyphs. Why did you choose them? What do you think of other builds of your class? Why didn't you choose one of those?

* My current spec and glyph choice is commonly known as the “AoE / Offtank” spec. I have this spec currently active due to running a lot of instances recently and have been signed as an add tank in previous raids, this build is helping to make that job a lot easier. Naturally it goes without saying that should be need be higher or more suited for the “Single target / Max threat” build, I will change to that build.

4. Do you have control of your own time i.e. if you sign and are selected for a raid can you guarantee (disasters and acts of god permitting) that you will be available until raid end time.

* Yes I do, I live on my own, availability and time management won’t be any problem.

5. When are you usually available for raiding (specific days of the week and preferred hours) have you taken note of our raiding days and do they fit into your schedule?

* I am available on pretty much every day and evening hours.
Monday: 18:00 > 04:00
Tuesday: 18:00 > 04:00
Wednesday: 18:00 > 04:00
Thursday: 18:00 > 04:00
Friday: 18:00 > 04:00
Saturday: 18:00 > 02:00
Sunday: 18:00 > 02:00

* Yes I have looked at your raiding schedule and it fits in my schedule.

6. What add-ons do you like to use for raids?

* Deus Vox Encounters
* Grid
* Recount
* Omen
* Quartz
* BigBrother

7. What raiding experience do you have and what role has this been in?

* I have full raiding experience of every bit of content released to this day with the exception of Lady Sinestra and the last four bosses of the Dragon Soul raid.

* Healer, Holy Priest:
Vanilla, The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm: Blackwing Descent, Bastion of Twilight, Throne of the Four Winds.

* Tank, Protection Warrior:
Cataclysm: Blackwing Descent, Bastion of Twilight, Firelands and Dragon Soul[4/8].

8. What raids do you believe you are geared for?

* I believe I am geared for all Normal content that Cataclysm has to offer. Heroic Firelands are also an option where the rest is trivial for current day standards.

9. Have you tried and/or completed any raid achievements and hard modes? What do you think of them and would you like to try more in the future?

* I have done hard modes and achievements where ever possible. For me it is the last bit of challenge left in an otherwise too easy environment, they require one to push it a little harder while scooping up the level of focus and teamplay.

10. We require 100% signs for your trial period, will this be acceptable?

* It is acceptable, tho it is a harsh demand which leads to declining personal commitments in order to pursue playing a game.

Some difficult scenarios

1. An Officer or fellow member offers you some advice on how to improve your play, be it through rotations, talents or gem and enchant suggestions, how do you feel?

* If the advice is grounded, well based and correct I will take that advice to heart. One can always improve and getting advice from your fellow member can be an excellent way to achieve that.

2. An item that you desperately want drops you register your interest but the loot council awards it to another player as is it a bigger upgrade or their attendance has been better, how do you react?

* With a mere congratulations, it is the raidleaders decision in the end to whom the loot goes, you can agree or disagree but in the end it is his/her call and you have to respect that. There is a big chance that the next times the roles are in reverse so it is good to reflect on that feeling.

3. In order to balance a raid for an encounter or because there are far to many signs the raidleader places you on standby for the second time running, but another member of your class is in the raid for the third time in a row. What do you do?

* Whatever can be done in the standby situation, it is the raidleaders job to create the optimal setting for the raid and if another member of your class is performing that job better then so be it. Perhaps I’d take the matter up to one of the officers about the matter, in the descripted scenario you “should” be able to do the same job as the member that did get invited and it is only fair to ask if there is a specific reason behind the decision.

4. After a heavy night of raiding another member makes a comment about your performance which may not be called for, how do you react?

* By simply ignoring the comment, 7 years of raiding and 3 years of being an officer and raid assistant created a tough shell. There is nothing to gain by simply making uncalled comments, if you have something to say make it constructive and helpful.

5. We are wiping..... all night...... getting the raid and the tactics right, your repair bill is going through the roof and not much progression is happening, how do you feel?

* Strangely I’d feel the urge to revamp and try to see where it went wrong, “if” the tactics were correct there must be very specific factors that are causing all the wipes, and through looking back on the attempts it is often very easy to see the flaw, you take that flaw and you construct a solution. Should be solution be helpful or details being brought to light I’d contact one of the officers to share these findings.
Tuishao
Tuishao
Guardian

If you cant fit into the 25man would you be happy with going to a 10man run that I am setting up asap, it normally is regular but I am slightly more lenient with when it starts as people work but generally about 8 game time probably on thursday I Think that would be a good day like my old "death squad" runs.

Will probably pick continuation days but that happens when and if etc in the raid normally.

But I do like the app so yea from me Happy

Galadruin the Dwarf
Enlightened

Not played prot warrior since TBC so I am not all knowing, just a couple of points though:

Hit & Expertise - your hit & expertise seems low - not sure if thats a big factor now with the 500% threat though.

I also thought parry>dodge due to Hold the Line talent

However I note you have an "Off tank spec" so again perhaps this not so important.

With regards the 100% availability on your trial period - as we are on progression through the new content it is the best interest of the guild that we have a mostly static raid team where possible - as people will be used to the tactics we will use. Though this tier seems more forgiving then FL on 25 man so far.

Anyway we are short on tanks and the app seems good - and is certainly honest - and as Peter says there is always a possibilty in the 10 mans in th future.

Jarakuel / Chris
Wanderer

re: Prot Warrior raiding App

I think his raiding ethics are excellent, and his experience is up to the same level as the guilds experience, except perhaps for the heroic FL encounters, still though, thats now becoming old content. I think hit and expertise for a prot warrior are less important because of revenge and the massive boost to tanks threat gain, but i may be wrong, all i know is that on my warrior, i'm not even near capped on expertise and hit and yet i maintain agro very easily, even against the biggest agro whores.

I say give him a shot!

Donvipra

Thank you for your reactions so far, too answer your comments.

@ Tuishao

Yes I'd be happy to run in a 10 man group instead of a 25 man, 10 man groups have been my personal favourite anyway.

@ Galadruin the Dwarf

True, however Hit and Expertise are only to boost your overall threat and this in raids is no problem what so ever especially from the boosts and there is always a rogue or hunter to assist you with the initial pull.

It is true that Parry is favoured over Dodge but it doesn't mean you have to forsake Dodge or you will find yourself getting a smack in the face from the diminishing return wall.

It is the same for a "single target" spec or a "off tank" spec only the distribution of certain talents are changed, stats and priority on gear remain the same.

That I understand, I know it is important to build a solid group. But for me seeing you are a social raiding guild, and named in your guild lines as a non-hardcorde raiding guild the demand of 100% raid attendance in your trail period seems a little harsh and demanding to cancel any real life commitments in order to achieve that goal.
Hievna
Enlightened

Quote:
100% raid attendance in your trail period seems a little harsh and demanding to cancel any real life commitments in order to achieve that goal.

This is to help us to evaluate you. There might be other reasons, but this is the most obvious reason to me. How do we know how you perform if you rarely attend to our raid and furthermore, if you can't attend to our raid during your trial, then how does it change after your trial is over?

Donvipra

Hievna wrote:
Quote:
100% raid attendance in your trail period seems a little harsh and demanding to cancel any real life commitments in order to achieve that goal.

This is to help us to evaluate you. There might be other reasons, but this is the most obvious reason to me. How do we know how you perform if you rarely attend to our raid and furthermore, if you can't attend to our raid during your trial, then how does it change after your trial is over?

But don't you agree that there is a huge difference between rarely and 100%? What you are suggesting is that I have to cancel any evening shifts at my work, or cancel an evening out with my girlfriend or other friends if they want to do something on a raid evening, giving the last two suggestions could be avoided with a little tact. (If you're lucky your girlfriend is the understanding sort).
Don't get me wrong it will be no problem for me to attend to the 100% attendance demand for the trail period, but I'd hate to have too miss a very rare evening of paid work for a few weeks because it is mandatory to be online, and once the trail is over then all of a sudden it would be oke.
Hievna
Enlightened

Quote:

* It is acceptable, tho it is a harsh demand which leads to declining personal commitments in order to pursue playing a game.

This is what you answered. We won't force you to raid and valid reasons are always acceptable, but if you can only raid once or twice a week, you might get replaced to someone who attends every raid.

Donvipra

Hievna wrote:
Quote:

This is what you answered. We won't force you to raid and valid reasons are always acceptable, but if you can only raid once or twice a week, you might get replaced to someone who attends every raid.

Fair enough.
It's very likely that I can rearrange any real life commitments during raiding days, but there are a few selective things that can't, or I refuse to put aside for a game.
Eluniel
Guardian

Same situation here as with the paladin tank on other application. I'm trying to understand lack of exp. Mmo champ guide says that these are not needed, but elitist jerks says you need these. Can you please tell reasons for avoiding expertise as tank?

Other than that I do not see problems and would say yes for a trial.

Eluniel wrote:
Same situation here as with the paladin tank on other application. I'm trying to understand lack of exp. Mmo champ guide says that these are not needed, but elitist jerks says you need these. Can you please tell reasons for avoiding expertise as tank?

Other than that I do not see problems and would say yes for a trial.

The main reason that expertise isn't needed in the raiding environment is that it only works as a threat increases, there is nothing more deadly then a couple of dodges and parries. However with the current amount of threat that tanks can do there is no actual need for that extra chance to hit an attack, with one attack we do today we're putting up the same amount of threat that was worth 5 or 6 attacks before the buff. So we can actually afford to miss a couple of hits to pursue more valluable stats to reach our CTC-cap.
And speaking for warriors we have Revenge that can't be dodged/parried, only missed, and we use that a lot, yet another reason why for us protection warriors Expertise is low on the priority list for raid stats.

If you were to look at 5-man heroics then yes I agree a bit more expertise is advisable, again a few missed strikes kill the dps who isn't attacking the correct target.
Ouwetank
Enlightened

The meta gem i would change to 2% armor value
and change in your talent tree 1 point of gag order to thunderstruck.

and the already noticed exp cap is also bit low in mine point of view.

But rest looks good :)yes for me

Good reasoning for caps. I would say yes for a trial.

Firstly excuse the generic reply, many applications!

The only issue I have is our 25 man raid squad is pretty full at the moment, however we will be breaking for xmas soon and will probably re evaluate the raid groups in the new year, splitting 10 out into a core 10 man group to run DS on a regular basis, along side our 25 man team. If holding out as standby on the remaining raids this year and being a bit patient with us evaluating/splitting raiders out to a 10 man group if ok with you then I would be happy to offer to a trial spot in FE.

As far as the 100% attendance this applies to our 2 week (ish) trial, the reason being is for us to get to know you in a raiding environment, although the time of year you are joining this is probably a little more flexible! We are not as harsh as to raid over Xmas so don't worry about that!

The other thing is that as a tank I will require you to have a well geared OS and be prepared to play it, gone are the 3 or 4 tank days and obviously having an option of tanks to play per encounter is useful for me on 25 man, I cant have this at the cost of lots of tasty dps.

Welcome to the guild please read the last part of this page and if you have any more questions just give me a shout.

http://forsakenenlightenment.guildlaunch.com/custom.php?page_id=77350&gid=45872&f=868814

Donvipra

Tethane wrote:

The other thing is that as a tank I will require you to have a well geared OS and be prepared to play it, gone are the 3 or 4 tank days and obviously having an option of tanks to play per encounter is useful for me on 25 man, I cant have this at the cost of lots of tasty dps.

That will not be a problem, I too well understand the situation of current day tanking and the one tank bosses. I have a set of Fury gear ready to for use, naturally fully enchanted and gemmed.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Guild applications All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum