Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Guild applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: Sorien, Fire Mage, Social+Raiding Application - ACCEPTED

Questions for all applicants:

1. What is your name, age and location?

My name is Sorin. I'm 23, and I (regrettably) live in Romania.

2. What is your characters name, level, class, spec and professions? Also list any alt's (please provide us with a link to your armory.)

My main character's name is Sorien, 85 Mage, Fire, currently Tailor and Enchanter.
Astartes, 85 Paladin, Prot/Ret, Miner/Jewelcrafter.
Aranthor, 85 Shaman, Enh/Resto, Alchemist/Herbalist.
Solonor, 12 Hunter, Survival, Miner/Engineer.
Malaar, - Rogue, pending for leveling.
Fraeya, - Druid, pending for leveling.
3. Why are you applying to Forsaken Enlightenment and what are your expectations from the guild?

I'm applying to Forsaken Enlightenment in an attempt to get back into raiding, but mostly out of a necessity for a living guild to hang out in.

4. Do you know any current Guild member and how did you hear about us?

I know Alex (Moombee), Az (Pessimism), and a couple more. I've heard about FE from them.

5. What other guilds have you been in and why did you leave them? Do you currently have any other applications pending with other guilds?

On Emerald Dream, Questionable Companions. I'm leaving because the guild is just about dead. No other applications.

6. Tell us what special qualities you will bring to Forsaken Enlightenment.

Absolutely nothing, aside from blunt honesty, and maybe the erratic farming spree that results in excess mats for whoever needs them...

7. Are you interested in becoming a social or raiding member of Forsaken Enlightenment, if social thank you for your application, if raiding please complete the next section.

I'm interested in getting back to raiding, but the hang-out-and-do-the-occasional-dungeon aspect is also desirable.

Questions for raiders only:

What is your raiding spec and your duel spec if you have one, which do you prefer to play and why?

Raiding spec is Fire, secondary spec is Arcane. For the moment I use Fire because... blowing up stuff is fun~

How do you keep yourself up to date on the latest developments of your class? Do you visit any websites for this?

I tend to not bother with min-maxing, but if/when I need some new info, I use wowhead.

Comment on your talents and glyphs. Why did you choose them? What do you think of other builds of your class? Why didn't you choose one of those?

Nothing to comment, really. I like the way it feels so I use it. There is no use for a maxed out build in a non-raiding environment. If, however, a raiding environment opens up I'll use a more "efficient" spec, if required/available.

Do you have control of your own time i.e. if you sign and are selected for a raid can you guarantee (disasters and acts of god permitting) that you will be available until raid end time.

Yes. I work at home (for the moment) over a VPN, and I have no fixed working hours.

When are you usually available for raiding (specific days of the week and preferred hours) have you taken note of our raiding days and do they fit into your schedule?

Any time, as long as I know beforehand so I can re-program my biological clock and get rid of the day's workload.

What add-ons do you like to use for raids?

DBM, for obvious reasons.
Pitbull's frame highlight add-in, to know when something bad's trying to brutalize someone.
Clique. to quickly dispel that something on that someone.

What raiding experience do you have and what role has this been in?

BC, very casual raiding, DPS role, nothing notable
WotLK, all raids. Naxx, Maly, Sarth, Ulduar (all except Mimiron, Yoggy, and Algalon), and a part of the Coliseum were as DPS. Another part of the Coliseum and everything subsequent was Paladin Tank.

What raids do you believe you are geared for?

According to wow-heroes, all of them on normal mode.

Have you tried and/or completed any raid achievements and hard modes? What do you think of them and would you like to try more in the future?

Tried, yes; completed, some. I don't particularly like them, nor do I care to do any more. Hardcore raiding (which hard modes are made for) is for those who enjoy it. Not me.

Some difficult scenarios

An Officer or fellow member offers you some advice on how to improve your play, be it through rotations, talents or gem and enchant suggestions, how do you feel?

If it truly improves performance, good. I'm not closed-minded, so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

An item that you desperately want drops you register your interest but the loot council awards it to another player as is it a bigger upgrade or their attendance has been better, how do you react?

I will kill a number of virgins, drain them of blood, then I will drink it to stop mine from boiling. Then again I do that anyway, so it's not important.
If the looting method is by loot council, then it's their place to decide. I might frown upon their decision, but if I agreed to join a raid with loot council I will abide by their decision.

In order to balance a raid for an encounter or because there are far to many signs the raidleader places you on standby for the second time running, but another member of your class is in the raid for the third time in a row. What do you do?

I wait. If I don't ever get a spot, then it's time to level some new chances.

After a heavy night of raiding another member makes a comment about your performance which may not be called for, how do you react?

If the boss is dead, I shrug it off. If the boss is alive and it is somehow my fault, I review my options.

We are wiping..... all night...... getting the raid and the tactics right, your repair bill is going through the roof and not much progression is happening, how do you feel?

I probably have a blinding headache, but I will go on until the raid is called. After the biggest part of my raiding experience merely seing the same people, that initially entered the raid, still be there after 3 hours... is totally worth it.

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Hievna
Enlightened

I see, that you have reforged your mastery to more benecifial stats, but you are still 1% under the hit cap. You also have couple of 30/40 crit gems. 20 int + 20 crit would be better choice.
As a fire mage, you should aim for 15% haste with raid buffs. You get 5% from Spriest/boomkin/Shaman, so you only need 10% haste, which equals about 200 more haste rating in your case. If 15% is a bit too much for your gear, then 12.5% is minimum.
Have you heard about Combustion helper? A really helpful addon for fire mage.
All in all a decent looking fire mage.

Edit: Corrected haste rating

Last edited by Hievna on 8-4-2011 1:59; edited 1 time in total

Galadruin the Dwarf
Enlightened

bearing in mind the sheer number of current mages I am not sure if there is room for another raiding mage, but perhaps there could be room for pally/enh shaman.

The app is good overall though, and as long as they understand there is a queue for mages then yes from me.

btw you a W40K chap, just the pally name is pretty much 40K

I've been juggling stats around while waiting for replies (night person etc.).
Now I'm at +17.04% Hit and 9.61% Haste (822), so just above the haste soft cap (812) for the 2nd Combustion tick.

And yes, I know about Combustion Helper. Been using it for a while in fact, I just forgot to mention it in the add-on list...

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Tethane
Guild Mistress

I really like this application, I'm not sure why, I just do. I think it's the honesty...

We have a proper glut of mages at the moment, but I am in discussion with one about switching main to something a little more desirable for our raid group. Saying that that still leaves 4 active mages, I see no problem in a 5th, your guys are powerhouses at the moment and it always makes BOT trash a lot simpler!

So I am going to say yes, but awaiting other Officer feedback for the moment though.

Please also note we request 100% signs for raids over your trial period, is this ok?

Sorien 

Tethane wrote:
I really like this application, I'm not sure why, I just do. I think it's the honesty...

Not very long ago being honest would get you hanged, stoned, or beaten for being a heretic, undesirable, etc. Nowadays, honesty is considered a refreshing change from the ever-present world of deception all around. Fascinating.

Tethane wrote:
Please also note we request 100% signs for raids over your trial period, is this ok?

I was, in fact, counting on that.
Moombee
Enlightened

I've been raiding for sorin all the way through WOTLK back when i was still playing Horde and guildleading. Think i've known him for about 2-3 years now. He's a nice dude to play with, although you might have to get used to his way of bringing stuff :P.

Other then that, when he was raiding with us he was like always there. I had him as an officer back then in my guild since he knew most classes and was on top of his game. He was a great asset back then to my guild and i think he could be a great one to FE aswell.

Gl with your app sorin ^^

Tethane
Guild Mistress

Quote:
He's a nice dude to play with, although you might have to get used to his way of bringing stuff :P.

Care to elaborate :P

Moombee
Enlightened

Tethane wrote:
Quote:
He's a nice dude to play with, although you might have to get used to his way of bringing stuff :P.

Care to elaborate :P

He likes to overdose on sarcasm from time to time tongue out

Bennied
Enlightened

I must say I think peeps should either make a purely social or raiding application. This being a raider application I must say answers like "tend to not bother with min-maxing, but if/when I need some new info, I use wowhead" doesn't sound to me like a fully devoted raider. Are you available for our raidnights?

The being a mage part.. even with them being so OP... we had 5 of em in the raid last time. This is important for you to know.

Did like the fact that you changed some things Hievna pointed out right away. Raiders should be, in my humble opinion, be fully raidfunctional before joining the guild. For instance still seeing a +30 gem.

Got a mixed feeling about your application.. think you are ok, but the whole raider part just doesn't completely add up for me at the moment and that's not something you can fix though. My question is: does FE really need another mage raider.
Sorien 

Bennied wrote:
I must say I think peeps should either make a purely social or raiding application. This being a raider application I must say answers like "tend to not bother with min-maxing, but if/when I need some new info, I use wowhead" doesn't sound to me like a fully devoted raider. Are you available for our raidnights?

I made a double application for a simple reason: if you don't need me for raids then I'm happy to join the social part.

Here's a question for you: what does sound like a fully devoted raider to you?

If your image of a perfect raider is someone that considers raiding a second job, then I'm out.
I already stated that I can attend any raid at any time because I'm not tied down by my work.
I'd like to have some fun in raids, that's why I applied to a social raiding guild and not a hardcore one.

I'm perfectly able to do a sweep of the EJ thread for math, find a tankspot video or written guide for specific bosses, keep up to date with patch notes and datamined info about my class and/or notable changes to bosses, etc.
The problem is I don't need to pay too much attention. Not if I don't do anything important... yet.

Bennied wrote:
The being a mage part.. even with them being so OP... we had 5 of em in the raid last time. This is important for you to know.

Duly noted.

Bennied wrote:
Did like the fact that you changed some things Hievna pointed out right away. Raiders should be, in my humble opinion, be fully raidfunctional before joining the guild. For instance still seeing a +30 gem.

Of course I changed things, they made sense. And, as you point out, being raid-functional for a raiding guild is logical. The +30 gem is long gone.
Necrall
Enlightened

I like this guy. Analytical, logical, looks at societies changes and finds them interesting to understand. I think we'd get along.

My personal website, where I post game reviews, talk about the games I've designed and made and other amusing game related links.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Guild applications All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum