This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Accepted
View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: Thurgon retribution paladin application - ACCEPTED

Questions for all applicants:

1. What is your name, age and location?

Kasper, 31, Utrecht (Netherlands).

2. What is your characters name, level, class, spec and professions?

note: I am faction changing right now but there is a limit of 3 times a day that I can enter my payment info so I'll have to do the last 2 characters tomorrow. And the armory isn't very fast with updating so proper armory links will be added as soon as possible.

armorylinkhere, namehere, 80, paladin, retribution, enchanting 450 jewelcrafting 450

armorylinkhere, namehere, 80, warlock, demonology, enchanting 450 tailoring 445

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Talona , Talona, 80 hunter, marksmanship, leatherworking 432 skinning 450 (was an orc, now a dwarf. Updated armory link will be added soon.)

armorylinkhere, namehere, 80 deathknight, unholy, mining 450 herbalism 450 (likely to be replaced by blacksmithing)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Taryl , Taryl, 80 mage, arcane, alchemy (elixer) 450 herbalism 450 (he is still a troll on armory at the time I'm adding this link. I'll edit it to the updated one as soon as possible.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Emerya, Emerya, 20 shaman, elemental, inscription 59 herbalism 79

3. Why are you applying to Forsaken Enlightenment and what are your expectations from the guild?

I have been playing horde on emerald dream for the past 5 years or so with a few brief excursions into alliance territory or to other servers. None of those lasted very long for one reason or another. Now I have reached a point where almost everything I do on horde just bores me or gives me a feeling of "been there, done that, far too many times before....".
Could I just have stuck with it and kept on playing horde until cataclysm and hope that changed it? Maybe....but getting there would not have been fun at all. So I decided to make an alliance character again, my now lvl 20 shaman. I was having so much fun doing new quests, exploring new area's and reading / hearing new stories that I decided to try it a bit more and see if the feeling was here to stay or just a temporary thing. It wasn't, so after a good long testrun on both sides I decided to start looking at possible guilds I could apply to. Going through the guild lists on the official and unofficial ED forums I also saw recruitment posts by a lot of guilds including FE. Reading the info there and later on the website is what made me want to know more so I talked to a few officerly types and decided to make an application.
I expect to find a guild with people that like to play together and have a good time doing it, whether it's in instances, PvP or anything else. Plenty of green chat and a few laughs on ventrilo can only make it better Happy

4. Do you know any current Guild member and how did you hear about us?

I heard about you while reading through the guild list on the official and unofficial forums.
I also knew FE from the emerald dreamers website. I don't know any people in FE yet but in the past month or so I have had nice chats with Tethane, Dawnrazor and Sycamorechaz. I was on my little shaman Emerya at the time.

5. What other guilds have you been in and why did you leave them? Do you currently have any other applications pending with other guilds?

My characters (when they were still horde) have been in The Infernals for most of the time that I've played on this server. I briefly moved some of the characters to another guild (Enlightened Dark, now moved to Azjol-Nerub and gone inactive there due to most people leaving) because I wanted to help the GM (an old ingame friend of mine) to try get her guild going. That didn't work out very well and so I came back to the server and guild I had been in before. I have left them for the reasons I explained at question #3. Maybe I'll have a horde character again after cataclysm release but it will never be my main focus again. That has been permanently moved to alliance. I have no applications of any kind with other guilds. Why would I? It's this one I want to join, not another one

6. Tell us what special qualities you will bring to Forsaken Enlightenment.

I will bring an experienced and social player who is always up for a good laugh, is eager to learn and will never start or participate in any kind of drama. I have seen what that can do in so many ways and can tell from personal experience that it just isn't worth it, ever. I will always be active ingame and on the forums whenever I can. Ventrilo is, of course, a nice bonus ;D

7. Are you interested in becoming a social or raiding member of Forsaken Enlightenment, if social thank you for your application, if raiding please complete the next section.

I am interested in becoming a member of Forsaken Enlightenment, raid when I can, and be social all the time Happy Which rank fits best I will leave to Tethane & Co :p

Questions for raiders only:

What is your raiding spec and your duel spec if you have one, which do you prefer to play and why?

I have played all 3 of my paladin's specs in raids. The way things are right now I don't like holy very much due to the very limited toolbox available. I know holy paladins are excellent tank healers, but not being able to adapt by using different abilities when things go wrong or when something unexpected happens while learning an encounter has put me off healing as a paladin a bit. I'll admit that the last time I healed regularly was way back in naxx 10 and healing ICC 10 was much more interesting. I like both protection and retribution in raids. But after tanking for a while it started to annoy me a bit that there was no way to tell if I was doing a good job except judging it by how fast others kill something. That made me take retribution as a main spec and protection as offspec. I am very flexible though and will bring whatever spec is needed for a particular raid.

paladin
main spec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sVVzZVZVfbtbIuhdIfsu:0Go0cm retribution
offspec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxfMzbc:pGjzcm protection

hunter
main spec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#cxbZ0eVkRhzGIsguAox00b:AifM0z marksman
offspec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#cxoZ0eVoZx0ci0cIhgdqhsz:fabMz0 survival (probably going to be beastmastery for levelling after cataclysm release)

warlock
main spec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IZ0GchkAbibsguAoE00V:oNT0zV demonology
offspec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#IfxMbzMAoiAoIktZE00V:TInzV0 affliction

deathknight
main spec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jfVMMZZfM0Ixcdg0ux0uIqo:sLbMmV unholy
offspec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0ebZhxe0AbI0c0fuzAo0g:wkTMmV frost

mage
main spec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#okhVfz0IzLGuGxedcZbGc0o:Nzi0Vm arcane
offspec - http://www.wowhead.com/talent#oZfVcbRhIhVubhcthfcczc:ILi0Vm fire

How do you keep yourself up to date on the latest developments of your class? Do you visit any websites for this?

I often read the Elitist Jerks forums for info about my classes. Compared to the official forums there is much less spam and a LOT of info. I also read class sections of official and unofficial forums at times and sites like worldofraids.com and mmo-champion for general wow related info. I know there are a lot of class specific sites out there and I do use them occasionally but when I wanted to check them for specific info in the past I have found them to be outdated a lot so I'm a bit careful taking what's there as truth.
Bosskillers.com is good for raid strategies and boss information and I use wow-heroes.com to see if a particular character is ready for those bosses. I know it's only an indication but still better then nothing.

Comment on your talents and glyphs. Why did you choose them? What do you think of other builds of your class? Why didn't you choose one of those?

I will try to keep it brief by only discussing my paladin here:)
My tanking spec is a fairly standard protection build taking all the necessary talents in the protection tree and 18 points in retribution for vindication (a good debuff that 10 man groups may not always have), seal of command (for tanking groups and trash that dies fast), pursuit of justice (movement speed buff) and crusade (threat boost).
I have seen other builds taking no points in crusade but 2/2 spiritual attunement (instead of the 1/2 I have) and 2/2 improved hammer of justice or others going for 5/5 seals of the pure. I did not take those builds because I prefer the damage and threat boost of crusade over the extra point of mana regen (not really an issue in raids) and the shorter cooldown on hammer of justice. I did not take seals of the pure because I believe crusade to be a better allround threat increasing talent.
My glyphs in protection are divine plea for -3% damage taken while divine plea is up. Guarded by the Light in protection makes divine plea's duration reset to the original 15 seconds on a melee hit so the glyph's damage reduction is a permanent buff. Mandatory glyph in my opinion unless you want to have angry healers. The other required glyph is seal of vengeance for 10 expertise. When a boss dodges and parries fewer attacks I land more of them and that means more threat. The last is open for debate. At the moment I have glyph of salvation (-20% damage taken when I cast hand of salvation on myself. If a big burst of damage is coming at a well known time (like festergut's pungent blight) this can prevent a lot of that damage. It's good but not required (in my opinion) like the other 2 glyphs. The alternative is glyph of righteous defense (+8% chance for hand of reckoning and righteous defense to work on each target). If I find that my taunts miss too much I will replace glyph of salvation with this one.
My retribution spec likewise takes all the necessary talents in retribution and divine strength (+15% strength - must have in protection tree) and the rest in holy for seals of the pure (+15% seal and judgement damage), divine intellect (+10% intellect) and aura mastery. I am more likely to change this build then the protection one. If aura mastery isn't used much I will take 6 points out of that and divine intellect and (probably) put those in guardian's favor (2/2), vindication (2/2) and divine purpose (2/2) for more utility. My glyphs in retribution are glyph of judgement (+10% damage from judgements, a must-have imo), glyph of consecration (saves mana due to less consecration casts needed in a fight and solves some gcd problems where different attacks would come off cooldown at the same time) and glyph of seal of expertise (+10 expertise, can be replaced by glyph of exorcism if expertise capped from gear alone).

Do you have control of your own time i.e. if you sign and are selected for a raid can you guarantee (disasters and acts of god permitting) that you will be available until raid end time.

When I sign up for a raid or any other guild event I will have made sure I can attend all of it.
Having said that, if any emergency should come up I will post on the forum or whisper someone ingame to notify whoever has organized it if at all possible.

When are you usually available for raiding (specific days of the week and preferred hours) have you taken note of our raiding days and do they fit into your schedule?

I have read your raiding schedule and the times fit me very well. My work schedule is a bit irregular though and often includes evenings at the moment. I will still sign for raids as often as I am available. And when work times settle down more I will try to sign more regularly (as many of the same days each week if possible).

What add-ons do you like to use for raids?

Omen - When I'm tanking I use it to see if I have enough threat on a mob or that someone is about to get aggro. A dead dps will do no damage so when dpsing I use Omen to avoid getting aggro and getting myself and possibly others killed for no reason.
As a healer it helps to be able to see who might be getting aggro or has already taken it so that person can be healed.

Ventrilo - When the proverbial poo hits the fan I can't always spare the time to type whatever info might help salvage a bad situation while still trying to do my job. Ventrilo makes this a lot easier. It also helps with explaining tactics if there are any misunderstandings or something isn't clear. It can also just be a lot of fun to have people to talk to outside of raids Happy

Deadly Boss Mods - Bosses always have abilites that can wipe the raid or at least do a lot of damage if not handled correctly. Like standing in fire, in a voidzone, in front if a big bad firebreathing dragon, in front of the nice warm wave of.....lava rushing in your direction, and the list goes on. With some warning most of these things can be avoided and that's why I use Deadly Boss Mods. Depending on the role I'm filling in the raid it also tells me when to stop dpsing, run away from a whirlwind, pick up adds that need to be tanked or heal someone who will be taking damage, that sort of thing.

Pallypower - The only blessing / aura management mod a paladin (and raidleader) will ever need. The raidleader can set the blessings and aura's for all the paladins, or they can sort it among themselves. No matter how it's done keeping track of the time left or people that might be missing one was never easier.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/pally-power.aspx

VuhDo - I use this addon when I'm healing. The raidframes it displays allow me to use any spell I need to (heals, decurse, dispell, res, etc) simply by clicking on the person that needs them. All the mouse buttons can be bound to a different spell along with modifiers such as alt, shit, ctrl. It will also display debuffs that need to be removed like poisons or if someone is mindcontrolled (for example, lady deathwhisper in ICC).
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/vuhdo.aspx

OmniCC - When an ability or item has a cooldown this addon displays that cooldown on the button used for it. I use it to miss as few available cooldowns as possible.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/omni-cc.aspx

Bartender4 - A replacement for the standard actionbars. The fact that there are more bars that can be added if necessary and moved around, made bigger or smaller in whatever way I like makes them better then the normal bars.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/bartender4.aspx

Recount - The fact that a boss dies is proof enough that the raid's dps was good enough. Even so I still like using this to see how well (or how badly) I'm performing in a given raid compared to other raids I've been in (have I improved or not?) or other people playing the same class (is there something I'm doing wrong in terms of rotation/spec/etc?).It's basically a good addon but being abused and given a bad name by morons looking for an epeen inflation >

Other addons

Ackis Recipe List - I use this to track which recipe's I don't have yet for my characters' professions and where they can be bought or otherwise obtained.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/arl.aspx

What raiding experience do you have and what role has this been in?

Pre-TBC
AQ20 - all except Ossirian (tried but not killed.....I think) (dps)
Zul'Gurub - cleared (dps)
Molten Bore - cleared too many times (dps)
Onyxia - cleared (dps)
Blackwing Lair - killed razorgore (awesome fight!) and hit a wall at vaelastrasz (dps)

TBC
Karazhan - cleared too many times (tank, dps)
Zul'aman - cleared (tank,dps)
Gruul - cleared (tank, dps)
Magtheridon's Lair - cleared (tank, dps)
Serpentshrine Cavern - The Loot Below and a few tries on other bosses (dps)
The Eye - Voidreaver, tries on Al'ar (tank, dps)
Mount Hyjal - 2 or 3 bosses after the pre-WotLK patch (tank)

WotLK
Naxxramas - cleared (tank, healer, dps)
OS - cleared (tank, healer, dps)
Ulduar - Vezax, Yogg and Algalon to go on 10 man, 5 bosses killed on 25 (tank, healer, dps)
ToC 10/25 - cleared (tank, healer, dps)
ToGC - 4/5 on 10 man (tank, healer, dps)
ICC 10 - The first 4 + plagueworks and dreamwalker done, tried blood princes a few times (tank, healer, dps)
ICC 25 - The first 4 + festergut killed.
RS - 10 man to phase 3 a few times (tank), not tried the 25 man yet.

What raids do you believe you are geared for?

I believe my paladin is geared for ICC in all 3 specs with the protection and holy sets being a little better then the retribution set. The retri set still has all the essential stats like the hit and expertise caps.
My hunter is geared for ICC with a few upgrades that I can get outside of raids - boots from HoR hc first boss and trinket from FoS last boss.
My deathknight's tanking gear is good enough to start in ICC 10 I believe.
His dps gear as well as my warlock's still need work. The random hc queue times are quite long for dps on horde which is why I haven't made that a priority yet.
My mage's gear is quite bad because I haven't played him much except to level alchemy. He still needs a LOT of gear from heroic 5 mans and triumph emblems.
I have used http://www.wow-heroes.com/ (for a rough estimate) along with my character's gear to come to this conclusion.

Have you tried and/or completed any raid achievements and hard modes? What do you think of them and would you like to try more in the future?

I have done some raid achievements but not a lot. I like them though and would like to try more of them in the future. They always make a boss more interesting and give me something new/more to do no matter what role Happy

Some difficult scenarios

An Officer or fellow member offers you some advice on how to improve your play, be it through rotations, talents or gem and enchant suggestions, how do you feel?

I talk to the person to make sure I understand what they mean and that it isn't something I have already considered but chose not to for a good reason. If it is something new to me I will try to use the advice as best I can. How do I feel? Someone is taking the time and making an effort to help me get better....I will thank that person and try to return the favor by helping him/her in return or anyone else in the guild if that should happen

An item that you desperately want drops from ICC 25 you register your interest but the loot council awards it to another player as is it a bigger upgrade or their attendance has been better, how do you react?

Loot is tool, nothing more , nothing less.
Yes, everyone, including me, likes to get a bit of a reward at times for the time / effort spent in an instance (raid or otherwise) and that's ok. But the most important thing in my opinion is remembering that items are only a means to an end and should never become more then that. The drama that can come from that is simply not worth it, never has been and never will be. So I will congratulate the winner with getting a nice item and wait for it to drop again. Besides, the more people that already have this item when it drops again means less competition for when it might be my turn to be lucky :p

In order to balance a raid for an encounter or because there are far to many signs the raidleader places you on standby for the second time running, but another member of your class is in the raid for the third time in a row. What do you do?

I will stay on standby for the raid and go do something else. Maybe some fishing for feasts or a few random BG's. I'm sure that being put on standby while someone else of the same class raids is done for a good reason so I will wait. My time to raid will come eventually Happy

After a heavy night of raiding another member makes a comment about your performance which may not be called for, how do you react?

It's late, we've had a long hard night in the raid so I'm certainly not offended by the comment.
If it's true I will promise to look into it more tomorrow so I can do my job better next time we raid and if not I'll try to explain why he or she is wrong. If that doesn't work there is always the next day. After a good night's sleep things are often more clear then when everyone is tired and annoyed by a rough raid.

We are wiping..... all night...... getting the raid and the tactics right, your repair bill is going through the roof and not much progression is happening, how do you feel?

How can you get a boss down if you don't try it? Paying repairbills isn't a problem. If for some reason I lack the cash to pay them I don't sign for a raid until that is resolved. I don't like pointless avoidablewipes but prefer to use them as an incentive to do better on the next attempt wink

Guest Post Rules are In Effect for this Post
Everlightly

OMG retri pally, what a great app btw, just need to check out the toon

OMG retri pally, what a great app btw, just need to check out the toon

Thanks Happy
I started transferring characters from horde to alliance earlier this afternoon but just did them in no particular order. Unfortunately this means my paladin is still stuck on horde until tomorrow. You can check http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Myala until then. I might have logged off in PvP gear but I'll check that later.

Sherawr
Guardian

Nice app Happy We havn't actually got a raiding Ret pally at all and although our raiding spots are pretty tight atm im sure a social inv wouldnt be a problem and then sign for raids incase of no shows etc. We often have alt runs or DKP runs anyways so theres always something going on. I would be more than happy for you to come to the FE family

I can't edit the original post so I'll just add the updated armory links here:

paladin - Thurgon - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Thurgon
warlock - Shadis - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Shadis
hunter - Talona - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Talona
deathknight - Nocture - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Nocture
mage - Taryl - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Emerald+Dream&cn=Taryl

Tuishao
Tuishao
Guardian

Nice application but damn wall of text! I read it all.. honest... well most... ok some.. >.>...........

I guess you haven't been in the cities much? you said you liked the change in quests and alliance side haha so trade must be turned off?.

Well it is a nice application I can't deny it and we don't have a ret paladin atm, but raid spots are generally full 30+signs for 25man. Yeah ofcourse spots show up and people don't appear, and being the only ret paladin (if thats your main spec for raiding) would be an advantage but we have to warn that spots are rare atm.

So it would be upto you if you would join as social and fill in spots? but being the only ret paladin at 80 raiding that isnt an alt (if that is the case) would probably help you out a lot in the raid spots :P.

So upto you, nice application social is always open to decent people and with that application you don't look like a south park generation and 5years play time Happy will understand what I mean with that I hope (ie. Trade/general chat questions being answered helpfully and not by idiotic trolls and also no stupid lazy questions) so yea give a whisper to someone ask for an officer etc and we will send an invite Aslong as Tethane agrees as she hasnt seen this yet but will probably have a look in about 9 hours ish when she is at work Happy

Nice application but damn wall of text! I read it all.. honest... well most... ok some.. >.>...........

I guess you haven't been in the cities much? you said you liked the change in quests and alliance side haha so trade must be turned off?.

I have become immune to trade channel trools more or less and sometimes I just turn it off Happy

Well it is a nice application I can't deny it and we don't have a ret paladin atm, but raid spots are generally full 30+signs for 25man. Yeah ofcourse spots show up and people don't appear, and being the only ret paladin (if thats your main spec for raiding)would be an advantage but we have to warn that spots are rare atm.

So it would be upto you if you would join as social and fill in spots? but being the only ret paladin at 80 raiding that isnt an alt (if that is the case) would probably help you out a lot in the raid spots :P

Yes, this is my main and retribution is my main spec for raiding.
Joining as a social and filling spots when I can suits me perfectly with the dodgy work schedule I have at the moment.

Everlightly

this chap /w me the couple of days and had a chat about few things and the guys was very polite. I think we should take him on, think he'll fit right in
Tethane
Guild Mistress

Great application, agreed with Peter, poke an Officer in game for an invite and welcome to Alliance ED!!

Great application, agreed with Peter, poke an Officer in game for an invite and welcome to Alliance ED!!

Thank you all for the kind words and congratulations if you managed to read the whole application! tongue out

Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Accepted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: