Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Class Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semisonic.

re: Shadow Priest Guide

hey guys. i noticed there wasnt one on here so BAM now there is

This is a short guide on how to play a shadowpriest.

1. Talents
2. Casting
3. Gear
4. Moving out of fire

1. Talents
There's not much to say about which talents to say, most trees look the same and the difference is usually if you spec for aggro-reduction or not. I would recomend the following spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbhZZhxfVRfzffqfzAo

I would argue that you don't need improved shadowform if you are a human, but I think it's good for the spellcasting interupts reduction. You can choose between improved Vampiric Embrace or Improved Spirit Tap, they are situationally equally good.

2. Casting
Since we got a new spell and spells got changed a bit, we now have a new casting order. As usual we don't have a set rotation, since we're using all our spells: VT, SWP, VE, DP, MB and MF. As you can see, sw:death is taken out of the sequence, only to use when you have a spare GCD.
On the pull you need to build up 5 stacks of shadow weaving before you apply shadow word pain, cause it's only affected by the amount of stacks you have the first time you cast it. So use this sequence to start off dps: VT, MB, MFx3 ticks, SW:pain, DP.
VE is now our new VT. Even if it's gonna be nerfed to 5% healed on party we are still going to be able to heal quite alot. put 2 shadowpriests with 3 tanks and you got maybe 1200 hps extra during the whole raid. This is also our resistance talent since it heals for the amount of dmg a resistance set would take away. It's always nice to take a load off the healers.
When you reapply Dots, always make sure that you let the last tick go off, before the new lands. That means that you have to cast VT one GCD before the old one lands an DP as soon as it runs out. You're uptime on dots should be as close to 100% as possible.

3. gear
When it comes to gear, I always consult shadowpriest.com where they use alot of theorycrafting to determine best in slot. Go to www.shadowpriest.com for it.
But generally you should go for spellpower >Crit/haste. They are almost equally worth although Crit is more easily scalable.
There are sweetspots for haste 1. 280 haste will give you about 2 MF in one Mind Blast Cooldown. around 550-600 will give you 3 MF in one cooldown. This is raidbuffed. Although haste between those two numbers are in no way bad.
Our dots can now crit, so always meta-gem for the crit dmg increase gem.

Hit is obviously the most important single stat for any DPS without it we wouldnt be...well hitting :P now the base hit cap is 446 at lvl80 raid boss's however this number is massively reduced by talents racials and debuffs. It is recommended that you talent into both Shadow Focus and Misery so with all 6 points assigned the hitcap will be 289 which is more more achievable. If your lucky enough to have a Draenai in your group the hit cap is reduced to only 263, easily achievable!

4. Moving out of fire
Nothing of this will be worth anything if you don't know how to move out of fire etc. I don't care if you have the latest fashion or the best gear or the coolest head-piece. If you die during a raid, you are not gonna be doing any DPS no matter how prepared u are. If you need to be at the bottom of dps to stay alive, so be it.
always aim for being the one who dispells the most, takes the most spines out of people, be the one who dies last and be one of the few who can kill ghost at teron uber-fast(old school).

That's it for now. Feel free to ask questions and ill be happy to answer them

/Chris

Last edited by Semisonic. on 17-7-2009 5:02; edited 1 time in total
Tethane
Guild Mistress

I was under the impression that spriests also need to gear for hit, I am sure our Priesty lot would appreciate details on both hard, talented and raid buffed hitcap, thank you for contributing!

Semisonic.

doh i knew i forgot summat.

There ya go boss all better :P
Tethane
Guild Mistress

Its only because I am obsessed with hit..... totally and utterly. In fact if in guild chat I proclaim to be doing "hit maths" never /w, dont talk, run away and hide because I am a ticking time bomb......!

And so not fair, was so pissed when they moved the lock hit talent out of destro and into affliction.... I have 16% hit at the moment (well a bit over 442) Oooo just noticed I can regem my waist woot... The point was generally we do have a space goat in raids so thats another 1%

Sycamorechaz
Fallen

Tethane wrote:
Its only because I am obsessed with hit..... totally and utterly. In fact if in guild chat I proclaim to be doing "hit maths" never /w, dont talk, run away and hide because I am a ticking time bomb......!

And so not fair, was so pissed when they moved the lock hit talent out of destro and into affliction.... I have 16% hit at the moment (well a bit over 442) Oooo just noticed I can regem my waist woot... The point was generally we do have a space goat in raids so thats another 1%

She is....its scary, if someone dares contradict her thats it /mute Tethane on vent

Tuishao
Tuishao
Guardian

Chaz how can you find time to comment on a post but cant log in or post why you aint on and keep missing the raids you signed! YOU FAIL!

CHAZ WHERE ARE YOU

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Class Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: