Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Class Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anders / Sreedna

re: Things you need to know as a lvl 80 MAGE

There are some old posts about mages here, so I thought it would be helpful to sum these up in one post:)

for your Hitcap:

your the hitrating needs to be 17% at lvl 80
ofc you'll get some hit% from spec so that will help, but alltogether 17% should be ur goal

Gear:

gear you should have before raiding naxx/OS: (all gear can be crafted, found in heroics /normals or quests)
http://mage.best-free-information.com/2008/12/08/best-level-80-mage-gear-pre-raid/

VOA, EOE and Uldar are harder raids so you should have better gear before you go there!
tbh you'll aslo get some great gear from WG marks!

Your spec:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Mage_builds

I've had 5/6 of the specs in wowiki, and my experience is that the frostfire spec gives the best dmg in raid + you have no problem with mana with that spec. and when I say frostfire I mean http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=oZfVc0RhIhVubhctbIccoc
with this spec frostfire bolt does alot more critical dmg and you'll get about 9% more crit rating then in other specs(exept full fire wich also gives 9% more crit), you have to have alot of crit rating because ff bolt does less dmg then firebold if it doesnt crit!

you mainly have to choose between haste gear and crit gear, my tip is to go for crit if you have the frostfire spec, this is because critting is really important to maintain high dps (as in instant pyro, ingnite etc)

I hope this post will be useful for the guild mages and if you have any questions feel free to ask me ingame Happy

Last edited by Anders / Sreedna on 1-7-2009 11:29; edited 1 time in total

Tuishao
Tuishao
Guardian

Ty Anders Happy hopefully it will help Tyler out aswell as others

pandagork

Forgive me if I seem like I'm stepping on anyone's toes, but I figured as I spend far too much time browsing teh internets for mage-y goodness I'd throw my own two copper in on this.

1. Arcane (57/3/11) - probably the best pure single target DPS spec in the game. The spec is flexible where it comes to decided where to put points in the Arcane tree (the wowwiki linked spec is awesome for this), but the best bet would be to take Incanter's Absorption and if there's a Disc priest or you're fighting the Twin Val'kyr in ToTC, your spellpower will get a nice boost and to take Frost Warding instead of Ice Shards in the Frost Tree to make your fire and frost ward spells actually useful. AoE in this spec is, well, awful.

2. Fire/TTW (18/51/0 + 2) - next highest pure dps spec, combining the blow stuff up goodness of fire with the nice 12% damage bonus from Torment The Weak. Only drawback to this one is that you have to max out your hit cap (no precision here) to make use of it, though as most raid gear nowadays is swimming in Hit, that shouldn't be difficult.

3. Frostfire (0/53/18) - coming at third is the frostfire spec, a spec I've been rocking since I hit level 75 and one that I've never left. This spec, what it lacks in Arcane's pure burst or Fire/TTW's sustained damage is the monster, and I mean monster crits that Frostfire Bolt can hit. For those that are fans of numbers, FFB's crit multiplier when taking all the talents in the spec is somewhere in the region of 300%. Plus, its AoE is absolutely awesome.

Anyway, those are the options in descending order but as I've tried arcane and absolutely hated it with a passion, it's all a matter of personal preference whereas which spec you want to take.

Guardian

Thanks for this, Anders popped it up almost a year ago so muchly out of date!

(Was Jodie she accidently used my account)

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Class Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: