Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Guild applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakaroo

re: Sakaroo Resto Shaman Raiding Application - ACCEPTED

1. What is your name, age and location?
Raymond, 24, Middlesbrough (North East England)

2. What is your characters name, level, class, spec and professions? Also list any alt's (please provide us with a link to your armoury.)
Sakaroo
Level 85
Shaman (Draenei)
Restoration
Alchemy/Jewelcrafting
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Sakaroo/simple

Main Alt:
Sákaru
Level 85
Priest (Worgen)
Discipline
Tailoring/Enchanting
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/S%C3%A1karu/simple

3. Why are you applying to Forsaken Enlightenment and what are your expectations from the guild?

For a while now I've been between guilds (though on good standing with them), looking for something I feel WoW has lost since afew months after Cataclysm launched. Being part of formidable 25man raiding team before my old guild (Origin - Kul Tiras - Horde) took an extensive raid break, I simply haven't felt the same thrill within the game. I've raided 10man counterparts of Firelands and Dragon Soul which have been great fun with the guilds I've been with, including a reformed Origin initiated by myself and other returning core members. However, I simply don't get the same thrill from 10mans over 25mans, and I miss the intense 25man raiding environment.
I've been on Emerald Dream for nearly a month now, and feel now is a good time for myself (and hopefully a guild!) to try and re-enter 25man raiding, especially with MoP on the horizon.

4. Do you know any current Guild member and how did you hear about us?

I do not know any of the members within the guild. Unfortunately only being on the realm for a short time, I simply found and became knowledgable of the guild using the official WoW forums.

5. What other guilds have you been in and why did you leave them? Do you currently have any other applications pending with other guilds?

Origin - Kul Tiras - Horde (Feb 2010 - Feb 2011) - The Guild Master at the time left the game suddenly, and slowly but surely the guild fell apart. I took this time to focus on my studies and university deadlines.

Absolution - Bronze Dragonflight - Horde (Summer 2011) - I had a relatively short term in this guild, however was with them when we killed 6/7 in Firelands pre-nerf. This was only interrupted due to Origin reforming. Absolution was made up of real life friends, so I left Absolution on great terms.

Origin (September 2011 - January 2012) - Being back here, I raid lead the guild who hadn't seen any of Firelands 10man through to the very end, killing Ragnaros (the week before pre nerf!), as well as 3 of the heroic mode bosses. Unfortunately due to a large influx of returning Origin players, raiding and cycling through 17 people for a 10man group became too problematic for myself to handle alongside my studies, so I went down to a casual raider in January. Once deadlines were over, We killed 8/8 Dragon Soul together, however I healed this on my Discipline priest simply to get the kill, which has left me at 7/8 on my Shaman. Once again, it was here I felt 10man raiding wasn't what I wanted, so again parting on good terms, I came to Emerald Dream where a friends guild was.

Echoes of Lordaeron - Alliance - Emerald Dream - Current Guild - Joining these guys in Late February or Early March, I've had good times with these guys raiding casually due to deadlines and what not. However, I do feel 10mans simply aren't what I want. I've explained my circumstances to the Guild master (Corenthi), and he understands, so with abit of luck, it'll be me leaving on good terms again.

6. Tell us what special qualities you will bring to Forsaken Enlightenment.

It's hard to sell yourself without being big headed, but I am an exceptional healer, on both my Shaman and my Priest. I look ahead in terms of boss tactics and would happily give input from experience should the time require me too. At the same time I can clearly listen for instruction, I am fairly sociable and enjoy meeting and playing with new WoW players of a similar skill level, and I feel this would be a great opportunity to do so.

7. Are you interested in becoming a social or raiding member of Forsaken Enlightenment, if social thank you for your application, if raiding please complete the next section.

Raiding Member

Questions for raiders only:

What is your raiding spec and your duel spec if you have one, which do you prefer to play and why?

I have a dual spec - My main spec is restoration, and my offspec is Elemental. I do prefer playing as Restoration as that is my focal point, but I can do either. I am looking to join a raid team primarily as Restoration.

How do you keep yourself up to date on the latest developments of your class? Do you visit any websites for this?

I'm constantly checking on MMO and Elitist Jerks about how to gem and which stats to prioritise for my class, as well as which spells and abilities to use in which scenarios. On top of this, I don't simply like hearing from word of mouth on my class updates or an effective playstyle - I prefer to use the information and try it myself, and adapt where possible.

Comment on your talents and glyphs. Why did you choose them? What do you think of other builds of your class? Why didn't you choose one of those?

In terms of my Restoration talents on my main spec, for a Resto Shaman the talent spec is almost "cookie-cutter" due to simple logic in my opinion. Naturally I haven't taken the reduced spell damage talents due to them being more for PVP and such, and there are more useful talents aimed towards PvE. Increasing my Critical Strike by 3% dabbling into the Elemental tree is a nifty boost in HPS, as well as the Elemental Weapons in Enhancement for earthliving procs is great. The water shield bonus from the shield talent is again a typical PvE talent. The instant Ghost Wolf talent is my personal preference over anything else, as if I am moving alot during an encounter (or even in the open world), it's a nice button to simply beable to click and move faster.

Do you have control of your own time i.e. if you sign and are selected for a raid can you guarantee (disasters and acts of god permitting) that you will be available until raid end time.

Yes, if I sign for a raid, I can guarantee unless there is a disaster or major dilemma I will be there.

When are you usually available for raiding (specific days of the week and preferred hours) have you taken note of our raiding days and do they fit into your schedule?

The only days I tend to be busy are Monday nights, however, I've checked your raid schedule, and the guilds raiding times don't intervene with this, as I'd simply have my typical student night out after the raid Happy

What add-ons do you like to use for raids?

When it comes to addons, admittedly I am a minimalist. I naturally used DBM, and any DKP addons (such as EPGP, as we used that in Origin). However, other than Skada and Atlas Loot, I tend to keep other addons off. With the exception of a OneBag addon.

What raiding experience do you have and what role has this been in?

In terms of raiding, I began raiding on my shaman once ToC was released. Since then I cleared all content with my Shaman as Resto spec on all difficulties (while 80 was the cap) with the exception of Ruby Sanctum Heroic (both 10/25man) and Lich King heroic (10/25man).

Since Cataclysm, during Tier 11 content I cleared 11/12 (minus Al'akir) on 25man normal. And eventually went on to kill Maloriak and Halfus on 25man heroic.

In Firelands 10man, I've killed 7/7 normal Pre-Nerf, and 3/7 heroic post nerf - once again, all on my Shaman.

In Dragon Soul I have killed 7/8 on normal mode with my Shaman. However, I killed Madness of Deathwing on normal mode also on my discipline priest, as the guild lacked it.

What raids do you believe you are geared for?

I am geared for the whole of Dragon Soul 25man normal mode, and Atleast the first 6+ bosses in Dragon Soul heroic.

Have you tried and/or completed any raid achievements and hard modes? What do you think of them and would you like to try more in the future?

Hard Modes, atleast in terms of where Cataclysm is at the moment, is where the real raiding lies in my humble opinion. As the tier content moves onto the end of the expansion, due to the gear sets and the stats on them, each tier on normal mode becomes simply too easy. Tier 11 content was immense for healers in my opinion when it first became available, while Dragon Soul normal is abit on the weak side. I do look forward to the Heroic Mode however Happy

We require 100% signs for your trial period, will this be acceptable?

Definately Acceptable!

Some difficult scenarios

An Officer or fellow member offers you some advice on how to improve your play, be it through rotations, talents or gem and enchant suggestions, how do you feel?

Firstly I'd appreciate any and all feedback on my spec, itemisation or playstyle. anything that could potentially make me a better player I am always open to listen. If it is advice which I may not neccessarily agree with, I would never slate someone for giving advice, I would give my opinion back and see what they thought, and treat it as a discussion, because at the end of the day we'd be a team. In the event that there was no right or wrong - I'd give the new advice a try myself, and see how it feels to me and if I can adapt it Happy

An item that you desperately want drops you register your interest but the loot council awards it to another player as is it a bigger upgrade or their attendance has been better, how do you react?

This scenario is a given and I would truly expect someone to receive the loot. If the person is putting in as much if not more effort than myself, or rather, if the person is clearly giving it their all, I'd say they deserve loot as much as anyone, so yeah, if its a bigger upgrade or their attendance is higher, they deserve it as they've invested more time Happy

In order to balance a raid for an encounter or because there are far to many signs the raidleader places you on standby for the second time running, but another member of your class is in the raid for the third time in a row. What do you do?

It depends on the member. if the member who has returned there three times in a row is an officer or a raider (if im a triallist still), it's totally understandable. Tbh, the only way I would question this at all would be if I knew the player in question wasn't pulling their weight during a raid - but then again, I'm sure the officers would know that anyway. So no, I wouldn't have a problem with this scenario.

After a heavy night of raiding another member makes a comment about your performance which may not be called for, how do you react?

I'd like to think every kind of issue can be resolved personally. If its the first time they've ever made a comment against me which I feel unjustified, I'd let it fly. If it became a reoccuring thing, I'd simply whisper them asking why they were acting that way, and to stop. if it reoccured it seemed they whispered with a backlash of further offences, I'd simply ignore them (not place the member on ignore, simply ignore whatever they send), and speak to a class offficer, an officer, or the GM after the raid.

We are wiping..... all night...... getting the raid and the tactics right, your repair bill is going through the roof and not much progression is happening, how do you feel?

Hah, the all time classic question, but at the same time, I'd be used to it. There is nothing more rewarding than downing a boss for the first time after a scenario like this. It happens, sometimes due to one player or several messing up, sometimes due to RNG issues. End of the day. the end result when a boss dies is worth it, so I wouldn't let it dampen my spirits. I'm happy simply raiding and playing the game in a 25man environment Happy

Side note: Apologies for creating an account before even seeing I'd been accepted. Totally jumped the gun abit! Sorry again Happy
Aselieos

Nice app. Gets a thumbs up from me.
One question tho, I assume ur not specced into telluric currents and gemming int/haste rather than int/mastery due to 10 man raiding? Not saying there is anyting wrong with gemming int/haste, i just believe there is a marginal benefit in mastery for 25 man :p
Sakaroo

Hey there. It's something I'm willing to look back into tbh, especially with re-adapting from 10man raiding (especially since doing firelands zero times on 25man hah) back to 25man.

Regemming is something I'd definately consider re-gemming into. Telluric Currents is something I've always been sceptical of tbh. I know it's beneficial in the sense that "theres no damage to heal therefore regen mana through dps" as it would have been efficient. I constantly had that arguement with a friend of mine who raided with TC talent in a 10man environment. It's something I'll have to make into my Offspec and trial and error it tbh. I'd definately consider adapting and giving it a go though Happy

It's always been an 'iffy' talent with me. I'd actually like to compare healing using the TC talent set and also without, and see which one makes me shine better :P

But yes! I'd definately consider it and give it a go Happy

Thank you for the thumbs up ;D <3
Hievna
Enlightened

I rarely respond to applications, unless it's mage/DK application, but your application is very nice and well written, or at least in my opinion it is =)
Good luck with your application!

Aselieos

I think ull find TC to be an "essential" talent when raiding 25 mans especially on HC progress. Being able to regen mana like that (especially on fights with dmg increasing phases ala hagara and warlord + deathchin) is crucial and often can prove decisive in certain fights.

Would strongly suggest giving it a try, i dont think ull be dissapointed with the results ;)
Sakaroo

Aye i'm definately gonna give it a try. For instance I may give it a try one raid week with it, then compare it to another raid week without it, see how it feels/plays etc. With increased damage, I can definately see the upside to it, especially when healing isn't neccessary.

My old arguement against it used to be a case of "If you're dpsing, you're not healing, and if you're in resto spec, you won't be hit capped, and it only becomes worth it if you crit, which isn't guaranteed" - and I still stand by that. But as you said, with increased damage output on things like Hagara, etc, the damage buff alone would act like a crit (even better if it does).

But yeah I understand why it's an attractful talent in the current raid environment. I'd definately like to give it a try against my regular healing spec and see which one gives way :D thanks for the advice!

And thanks Hievna ^^ and thanks agian Aselieos :D

(Also apologies for slow replies this evening - Celebrating St. Patricks day today instead of tomorrow ^^)
Tuishao
Tuishao
Guardian

Nice application and nice responses, taking on board suggestions without any hint of "No I know best"I am god complex, shows maturity and also I think you will fit in well with the 25mans.

Also a good time to apply for them as people are getting slack, how good is your dps offspec? but even if not that great im sure there is a healer who would like to be dps.

So a yes from me.

Sakaroo

Apologies for the late reply! Was celebrating St Patricks Day like a sober fool hah Happy

Thanks for all the positive feedback and comments guys, means alot considering I haven't had to fill a guild application since around 2 years ago! Forgot how daunting it can be awaiting responses aha. But its muchly appreciated!

About the "I'm right you're wrong!" kinda thing, I'm always looking for ways to improve as I say :D I've never really 'liked' the whole Telluric Currents talent and approach, however with 3-4 bosses in the current tier having increased damage output, I can definately see why it'd be attractive now, especially since you guys are progressing with heroic content! So I look forward to trying it myself against my current playstyle :D

In terms of my DPS Offspec, I have gear sets for both specs, though I am alot more comfortable playing Elemental than Enhancement (Enhancement has way too many procs for me to follow even with addons - Its one of those specs where I know what to do, but fingers just aren't fast enough!). Again, Elemental I know how to play, I'd like to think I hold my own as far as an offspec is concerned, but naturally my more comfortable playstyle is healer heh. But i'd be willing to DPS should an encounter call for it. At the very least I know/listen when to DPS halt, what target to dps and how to CC - half way there eh? haha.

Thanks again guys Happy
Tethane
Guild Mistress

Right Raymond, firstly I have to thank you for a great application, you clearly put thought and time into it and have answered all questions well.

We have a open spot for a healer in our 25 man team and although I was looking for a Holy Paladin I think you would fit the bill, your attitude seems spot on.

We have begun on heroic modes, but I feel the team as a whole needs a tad more gearing to progress further, our evenings on Yorsahj were painful........ very painful! So don't expect immediate heroic kills!

We also have a couple of core raid members on holiday at the moment, surprising as it may seem that although as a Guild we want to keep 25 mans alive on the server, a number of players see the innate ease of 10 mans favourable. This does mean a great deal of hard work for me in ensuring the squad is always full, and having to gear newer members to the raid and ensuring the right set up for encounters can be tricky.

Now I'm not saying this to put you off! I'm a strong believer in managing expectations and wanted to be clear that there is a lot of hard work ahead, if you are up for joining us to achieve this the rewards and satisfaction are there. If you want an easy route to hardmode kills perhaps not!

So the short version.......... yes I would like to offer you a raid spot within FE, if you have any more questions please post them, if not poke an Officer for an invite and welcome to the Guild!!

Sakaroo

Sorry about not being a Holy Paladin, but hopefully I'll fill the role of the healer just as well I hope ^_^

Don't worry about the heroic modes and things like that. I'd simply be happy to be part of another solid raid environment. I definately don't expect easy Heroic kills. Takes the object away from them being heroic in my opinion. Naturally I can't judge how 25man normal is since I've only done LFR and 10man 8/8, but It'll be cool adapting to that even before going right out killing several heroic bosses in the first week of trialling aha. It'll be a good time to re-adjust myself to 25man raiding again Happy

Thanks very much for the trial spot, I shan't let you guys down ^^ heh.
The only question (more a query than anything) would be, well before a trial raid or anything like that, would it be possible to join someone on vent and re-acquaint myself with the settings etc well before a raid. Been using TS3 and Skype alot recently for the raids I've been doing, so I figure I might need to reconfigure vent (Origins old vent codec was weird, i had to use some weird settings hah!)

Thanks again! I shall give someone a /poke today Happy
Eluniel
Guardian

Oh, new healer. Sorry that I didn't comment, I got MoBo yesterday and I have been building this computer. Anyways, it would have been yes also from me. And Jodie, r.shamans are nice to have on HC modes due their lovely mastery (lower the target's HP is, the stronger they heal)

Shall be soon on wow... I hope.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum