Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Class Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galadruin the Dwarf
Enlightened

re: Paladin Holy Build - Galadruins Take on it all

First off the Build

I use the following build: 32/5/4

I don't use ToR mostly because it is too expensive to gain the HP using only DL/FoL now HL has been romoved from it. I think the 3 points are better spent in Divinity.

However, it may change a little as gear gets better, and certainly if there is a point where you can get Spirit to a sufficiently high level to have Mana regen in combat counter the costs of DL/FoL it may be a respec into ToR.

Glyphs
As holy pally we don't have a huge choice, and beacuase of that I don't think you can go massively wrong.
Maybe swap Divine Favour for WoG Prime glyph.

In majors a few more choices, and again it doesn't matter so much; Divinity, Salvation, long word are all viable replacements for LoD and Cleansing.

Stat Importance
Please note this is my view currently from the raids we are doing in guild.

Intellect > Haste = Spirit > Crit = Mastery

Intellect - gets nice big mana pool and Spell Power bonus.
Haste - HL can heal for decent amounts and is essentially free, DL heals for a lot, and both are slow. I prefer haste to ensure these cast times are as low as possible.
Spirit - Important for Mana Regen and as important as haste, OOM is bad, and it gets real close on some bosses
Crit - increases heal throughput but Pallys (well me at least) still seem to have big overhealing
Mastery - I am not really sure how good this is. Blizzard are wacking it on all our T11 gear, but the shield seems very weak, and if the people are not taking damage all the time (or within 8 seconds of the last heal) seems pretty poor.

Full Epic and Crit/Mastery
I think full Epic it may be that Crit and Mastery could be really good, but I just am not positive- and no-one else is lauding it on the forums, so I doubt it.

Spell Use:
It goes without saying that healing is mostly reactionary, and picking the right spell is more important now then ever before. No longer (with current gear) is it possible to spam our big/or fast heals (DL/FoL).

We do have a little more time to look and pick a spell, but making sure you get the right one can be life or death of the target - especially the tank.

Though there are claims that damage won't be spikey - for some bosses this does not seem to be the case in all our Raids so far.

Our Instant Heals
Holy Shock - use on cool down as needed and on daybreak - this gets us Holy Power for Light of Dawn / Word of Glory

WoG - Use as needed - there doesn't seem to a dramatically improved amount of heal with 3 HP.

LoD - try and use when the raid is grouped for maximum targets. Note that 50% of all heals by this spell go to the Beacon - so the more hit the more they (usually the tank) are healed.

Holy Radiance - A powerful AoE heal that relies the pally being in the thick of a raid. The further away the raid member is the less healed.

Lay on Hands - if the tank is really low - get it whacked- currently (until patch anyway) 50% is transferred to Beacon as well.

The Rest of our Heals
Holy Light - our go to heal, use to top up any raid member/tank if no heavy damage is happening

Divine Light - A slow and big heal - great for that big slap on tank and offtank.

FoL - Save that DPS'er - very quick and decent amount healed

Procs and other stuff
Daybreak - no cooldown on Holy Shock so spam it again

Eternal Glory - LoD or WoG was free spam it again

Judgement - Try and use on boss/add when you have a chance to generate mana - also at least every minute for the 9% haste increase

Gift of Ancient King - Amazing heal bonus - try and use with LoD and/or HR to get maximum heals, especially when there is heavy raid damage

Divine Favour - Good haste and crit increase - very useful in heavy raid/tank damage times (very good with GotAK)

Hand of Sacrifice - Use whenever you are expecting huge tank damage

Avenging Wrath - nice heal bonus, again for heavy tank and raid damage

Divine Shield - if you need to heal and there is lot of incoming damage - get it hit

HoP/HoS - good on DPS'rs who are getting aggro

Positioning etcHave a read of this thread

Conclusion
I know some of this is to suck eggs, but due to the nature of the healing classes now we are required to do more then spam 1 button whilst watching telly.

I hope that helps any newcomers to the Holy Paladin, please add any comments or corrections as you see fit.

Galadruin the Dwarf
Enlightened

Paragon Pally Healers

Looking at there profiles the seem to be stacking intellect and reforging crit/mastery into haste.

It seems spirit isn't massively important to them - however I would suspect that the individual raiders that take a lot of raid damage would be /kicked so the mana for healing is probably only for unavoidable damage.

Eluniel
Guardian

Galadruin the Holy wrote:
...however I would suspect that the individual raiders that take a lot of raid damage would be /kicked so the mana for healing is probably only for unavoidable damage.

Yep, also the fact that they do not need manatide as buff points to direction that their healers must have less to work with. From Paragon forum we can see the answer why there is 0 shamans in Sinestra kill. I will not paste it here since it makes me sad and it is off topic.

But after all, they are HC raiders who are min maxing everything. Druids and shamans are more than viable on normal boss encounters. Even if we are not the best that does not make us unplayable.
Following quote is about DPS but it also fits for healing.
WoW Insider wrote:
Blizzard's job as as the game designer is twofold. First, it needs to limit the variance between the 22 DPS specs so that the last DPS spec doesn't look pitiful next to the first. Second, it needs to introduce buffs and nerfs to the classes at both ends of the pack, so that no spec is always mathematically best or worse for extended periods of time.

More importantly, raiding is a team e-sport. Your job as a raider is to show up to the raid and do the best you can possibly do ...

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/01/14/the-middle-of-the-pack-is-a-fine-place-to-be/

And now it is off topic anyways... damn, me and my long post.

re: Pally Healing

Ok, my current mana keeping rotation is, Judgement on every CD (unless you need to spam a certain player i.e. Tank). Trinket as soon as you go below 80% mana, divine plea with avenging wrath and divine favour. This counteracts the healing reduction that divine plea gives you when used. This is also a good combination if you have to spam heal the raid when massive raid damage occurs. I'm doing pretty much exactly the same as you are at the moment pob, holy shocking at every CD, spamming holy light when the healing isn't very intensive, and Divine Light when heavy damage is dealt to the tank, especially when you get the proc from getting a crit with holy shock.

The only thing i do make sure i do tho, is i only use word of glory when i have 3 stacks of holy power. I've looked into using it with 1 or 2 charges and there seems to be quite a significant difference. Obviously i also use Light of Dawn only when i get 3 charges of holy power.

The guide is awesome pob.
Personally i've gone for spirit over intellect and rarely go OOM, but i might experiment with the intell gems as i suppose divine plea would restore more mana as its a percentage of your total mana.

Jarakuel / Chris
Wanderer

re: Pally Healing

Sorry, i said trinket below 80% mana, divine plea etc etc, i meant to say:
Trinket below 80% mana or divine plea, avenging wrath + divine favour.

Galadruin the Dwarf
Enlightened

re: Updated for 4.3

Build 32/5/4

1 Point can be dropped from PotI to put elswhere maybe paragon of virtue or blessed life. 1 point can also be taken from Enlightened Judgements to use elsewhere

Glyphs
Prime: Glyph of Seal of Insight Glyph of Holy Shock are a must
I personally prefer Glyph of Divine Favor over Glyph of Word of Glory

The rest are as you wish and you can't go far wrong

Stats
There is a lot of debate on whether mastery is as good as haste and how useful spirit is but here is my take for our current content (Dragon Soul 25N)

Intellect > Haste = Spirit (3K) > Mastery >> Crit

Intellect is by far the best stat and though Haste = spirit - I would aim for 3K spirit as long as you have 2 part Tier 12 (mana back from holy shock) or higher if you don't have it.

Haste vs Mastery - highly debatable but my personal thoughts are Haste is better in 25 man for the holy paladin. In 10 man as a tank healer I think mastery would be pretty useful.

Spell Priority

Are paladins raid or tank healers.

Pallies are pretty fine raid healers now - especially since the change in Holy Radiance.

Also due to changes you only need to use Judgement once every 60 seconds.

Positioning as a holy pally is important so try and sit with the biggest grouping - usually melee. Try and hang out to the back of any grouping as it makes using Light of Dawn easier.

Beacon the Tank or Off tank as per who is likely to take the most damage.

Use Holy shock on cool down to build your holy power.

Use Holy Radiance when bunched - and on the melee (tank/Self/dps alternately) or any stacked raid. HR also gives Holy Power

Use Light of dawn with 3 HP if you are grouped or need to heal AOE heavy fights.
Use WoG with 3 hp if there is no stacking/no need for AOE heals.

Single Target Healing
Use Holy shock on CD and Holy light - divine light if damage is heavy - but avoid using it, WoG on 3 HP.

AOE Healing
Holy Shock on CD Holy Radiance on 3 HP use LoD. Repeat.
When using Holy Radiance - make sure you select a diferent target for each casting (I like to rotate through Range DPS, tank, Melee DPS and repeat).

Cooldowns
There are 3 excellent cooldowns, I try and use them all through the fight seperately. I use AW first, then DF then GotAK.

If mana is an issue use divine plea in any light damage phases

Gift of Ancient King - Amazing heal bonus - try and use with LoD and/or HR to get maximum heals, especially when there is heavy raid damage

Divine Favour - Good haste and crit increase - very useful in heavy raid/tank damage times

Avenging Wrath - nice heal bonus, again for heavy tank and raid damage

Also don't forget Hand of Sacrifice - Use whenever you are expecting huge tank damage

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FORSAKEN ENLIGHTENMENT Forum Index -> Class Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: